Thursday 31 January 2013

Moby Dick

Call me Ishmael, maybe....

I had just finished watching the iconic movie starring Gregory Peck and decided to do a diorama on Whaling as I have not done a seascape before. As I am not aware of any zinnfiguren sets on this theme, I started surfing the web for suitable pics. My scannfiguren approach.

As a seascape is generally featureless, the main actors, the whale, the longboats and whaling ship would have to dominate the scene. To create a sense of movement, I designed the background with a jaunty curve and decided that the waves would have to be modelled in 3-d..


Following the usual fit of background to the diorama box, I created a curved base and covered the gaps with plaster paste. 

        
Once the sky background was smoothed over, the main pictorial elements were test-fitted inside this diorama. The sperm whale was cut into two, with the tail turned upwards as I wanted a counterfoil to the head. 


Wave cutouts were created from card and glued onto the base. Thick plaster paste was used to create waves and to simulate a sense of motion.

The progress so far. 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.

    ReplyDelete