Sunday 7 December 2014

Palm Sunday Diorama 8

Following a short holiday, I went back to work on this diorama. Without realising it, I have almost completed it without taking photos of work in progress.

After the main temple and Antonia fortress building shapes were elevated, I added small cutouts to represent other buildings in the background. Small cutouts were also used to represent the walls curving behind the temple gate, most of which are obscured by the trees.

The final painting was carried out, first on the sky. The hills and groundwork were painted a lighter yellow ochre and the buildings were painted, including more buildings in the background.

The figures were staged and then added to the scene. When I framed the scene, I noticed that it was too low and I inserted a thick cardboard underneath to increase the height.

 I divided the crowd scene into two sections to make it interesting. On the right, there is a Sunday market scene outside the walls. Roman guards are posted all around to keep the peace. On the left, there is a group gathered around the procession when Jesus enters with his disciples. 

 Close up of the market section. The Roman centurion on duty is perplexed by the excitement of the crowd rushing off to see the procession. Notice the impasto effect of painting which suggests crumbling brick walls.

 Close-up of the procession. Jesus and his disciples are greeted by crowds waving palm leaves.


 Close-up of the upper gate and background. An enthusiastic follower has climbed up on the walls to show his support. Some of the cutouts and painted buildings can be seen to make a transition into the distance. I used an impressionist style to suggest the buildings.

I painted in some clouds to make the scene more dramatic and to cover up the shadow of the over-painted hill in the background.



When I tested the lights, the LED was too dim for such a bright sunny day and I substituted this with a fluorescent light.

Highlights were added to the trees. Green was added to suggest olive trees in the painting as well. More prominent shading was added to the figures to blend them into the scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment